England's Simon Middleton wants to avoid pain of losing another final > 자유게시판

정성과 청결함에 대한 고집은 그대로

England's Simon Middleton wants to avoid pain of losing anot…

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Alva
댓글 0건 조회 1,972회 작성일 22-11-07 07:00

본문

The ‘desperate' pain of England's 2017 World Cup final defeat by New Zealand is something Simon Middleton will never forget and is determined not to feel again.
Red Roses head coach Middleton saw his team beaten 41-32 by the Black Ferns five years ago as hopes of global glory ended at the last hurdle.
Since then, England have become the women's game's dominant force.

Their World Cup semi-final win over Canada was their 30th successive victory and set up another meeting with New Zealand.
Simon Middleton wants to avoid a repeat of England's World Cup final loss from five years ago
RELATED ARTICLES

Share this article

Saturday's clash at Eden Park is the dream last-two showdown for World Rugby and a meeting of the two best teams on the planet.
This time Middleton is hoping for a different outcome to 2017.
‘To be honest it was a pretty desperate feeling and it's one you don't want to experience too many times,' Middleton said, looking back on that final reversal.
‘It's a case of having something so close it's in your grasp and then it's gone.

You know how much of a difference it would make to the game and to the players if you succeed.
Abby Dow scored crucial finishes as England bay365 overcame Canada in the semi-final in Auckland
‘This is exactly the same.

What winning here would do is just accelerate it (rugby) like the women winning the Euros has accelerated football. You need it, don't you?
‘Everybody wants it badly. It's how you handle that.'
England were given a real fright by Canada in their semi-final in Auckland but did just enough to inch home 26-19.
Two brilliant finishes from wing Abby Dow were the game's crucial moments.
New Zealand will be England's toughest challenge yet.

The Black Ferns also had a semi-final scare and had fly-half Caroline Drouin kicked a late penalty, England would have been facing France and not the hosts with the trophy on the line. In the end, New Zealand escaped 25-24 winners.
‘The way the Black Ferns have turned round in the last year is phenomenal.
That shows the momentum they've got,' said Middleton. ‘It's something we'll have to wrest away from them.'

Middleton said that New Zealand's transformation in the past year gives them momentum 
England comfortably got the better of New Zealand twice last year, winning 56-15 and 43-12.

But those games came on the back of the Covid-19 pandemic. Since then, the Black Ferns have improved significantly and now have home advantage. Sportsmail revealed the 50,000-capacity Eden Park has sold out for the final.
Nearly 8,000 tickets were snapped up by fanatical Kiwi fans in the immediate aftermath of New Zealand beating France.

The final should be some game.
‘There are a lot of players starting to creak and everyone is getting a little frazzled,' said Middleton, whose future after this World Cup remains uncertain. ‘It's about what you've got inside.

I just want the team to win and then we'll sit down and talk about whatever that looks like after.'
New Zealand won't die wondering in the final. Their free-flowing, attacking brand of rugby is a real contrast to England's power and set-piece game.
Black Ferns star Ruby Tui said she has massive respect for England before the World Cup final
Middleton is set to be without key figure Helena Rowland for the final after she suffered an ankle injury against Canada.

Ellie Kildunne is set to replace Rowland at full-back.
‘It's a romantic ending and I wouldn't want it any other way,' said star Black Ferns back Ruby Tui. ‘You have to beat the best to be the best and I've got massive respect for England.
‘They've led the way in professionalism but it was hard watching the end-of-year tour.

I wasn't playing but I took that personally.
‘If we do what we are capable of I don't need to think about the outcome.'
England vs New Zealand - World Cup final (Saturday, Eden Park - Auckland.

Kick-off: 6.30am)
RELATED ARTICLES

Share this article

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.